Universities and other tertiary Institutions Act,2003 (with amended Act, 2006)
- (1) There shall be a Senate for each Public University whose maximum number of members shall be determined by the University Council from time to time but the Ex-officio Members shall not be reduced.
(2) The Senate shall consist of the following members:
(a) Vice Chancellor
(b) Deputy Vice Chancellor
(c) Deans and Directors of Faculties or Schools as may be established within the University.
(d) Represented of the Affiliated and Constituent Colleges or Schools if any; namely:
(i) The Principal
(ii) The Chairperson of the Academic Board, and
(iii) A Representative of the Academic Staff.
(e) Such number of Professors and Associate Professors of the University that the University Council may determine which shall include atleast one Professor or Associate Professor from each Faculty or School of the University elected by the Academic Staff of the Faculty or School.
(f) The University Librarian, Bursar, Dean of Students and Secretary.
(g) Such number of the non-academic staff that the University Council may determine to be elected by the non-academic Staff.
(h) Two students of the University to be elected by the students in accordance with the Students’ Union procedure.
(i) Three persons who are capable of contributing to the academic and social development of the University appointed by the Minister from the Public.
(3) Appointed members of the University Senate shall hold Office for a period of three years and shall be eligible for re-appointment.
(4) The Vice Chancellor shall be the Chairperson of the Senate and shall preside at all meetings of the Senate at which he/she is present and in the absence of the Vice Chancellor, one of the Deputy Vice Chancellors shall preside.
(5) The Academic Registrar of the University shall be the Secretary to the Senate.
- (1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Senate shall be responsible for the organization, control and direction of Academic matters of the University and as such, the Senate shall be in charge of teaching, research and general standard of education and research and their assessment in the University.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of sub-section (1), the Senate shall:
(a) Initiate the Academic Policy of the University and advise the University Council on the required facilities to implement the Policy.
(b) Direct and regulate the instruction programme and the structure of any degree, diploma or certificate course within the University.
(c) Advise the University Council regarding the eligibility and qualifications of persons for admission for courses leading to the award of degree, diploma, certificate or other award of the University.
(d) Make regulation regarding the content and the academic standard of any Course of study in respect of a degree, diploma or certificate or other awards.
(e) Make regulations regarding the standard of proficiency to be attained in each examination for a degree, diploma, certificate or other award by the University.
(f) Decide which persons have reached the standard of proficiency and are fit for the award of any degree, diploma, certificate or other awards of the University;
(g) Advise the University Council on the promotion, coordination, control and general direction of research in the University;
(h) consider and report to the University Council on any matter relating to, or in connection with the academic work of the University.
(3) The Senate may deprive any person of a degree, diploma, certificate or any award of a Public University if after due inquiry it is found that the award was obtained through fraud or dishonourable or scandalous conduct.
(4) A person deprived of an award under section (3) may appeal to the University Council against the decision of the Senate.
(5) The Senate may delegate any of its powers or functions to a Faculty, School, Board of Students or Committee as the Senate may consider fit.
- (1) The Senate shall meet for the discharge of its functions an exercise of its powers at least three times in an academic year at a time and place that the Senate may consider or as the Vice Chancellor may require.
(2) The quorum at a meeting of Senate shall be one third of the members of Senate.
(3) Subject to this section, the Senate may regulate its own procedure.
The Senate is the chief academic organ of the University. It is responsible for the organization, control and direction of academic matters of the University and as such shall be in charge of the teaching, research, and the general standards and assessment of the University. The following members constitute the Senate:
- The Vice-Chancellor (Chairperson)
- The Deputy Vice-Chancellors;
- Deans and Directors of faculties or schools as may be established within the University;
- Representatives of the affiliated and constituent colleges or schools, namely: the Principal; the Chairperson of the Academic Board; and a representative of the Academic staff;
- Such number of professors and associate professors of the University that the University Council determines, which includes at least one professor or associate professor from each faculty or school elected by the academic staff of the faculty or school;
- The University Librarian, Bursar, Dean of Students and Secretary;
- Such number of the Non-Academic staff that the University Council determines, which is elected by the Non-Academic staff;
- Two students of the University to be elected by the students in accordance with the Students Union Procedure;
- and three persons who are capable of contributing to the academic and social development of the University, appointed by the Minister from the public.
MEMBERS OF BUSITEMA UNIVERSITY SENATE
|1.||Prof. Mary. JN Okwakol||Vice Chancellor / Chairperson|
|2.||Dr. Samuel Bucker Kucel||First Deputy Vice Chancellor|
|3.||Professor Barnabas Nawangwe||Member|
|4.||Professor Florence Mutony D’ Ujanga||Member|
|5.||Professor John David Kabasa||Member|
|6.||Mr. Abert Matsiko Mutungwire||University Secretary|
|7.||Mr. Ronard Mutego Hangujja||University Bursar|
|8.||Mr. Abdu Karim Isala||University Librarian|
|9.||Mrs. Sophie Acon||Dean of Students|
|10.||Dr. Wilson Babu Musinguzi||Dean, Faculty of Engineering|
|11.||Dr. David Magumba||Dean, Faculty of Agriculture and Animal Sciences|
|12.||Dr. Edward Andama||Dean, Faculty of Science and Education|
|13.||Professor Paul Waako||Dean, Faculty of Health Sciences|
|14.||Dr. Alice Nakiyemba||Dean, Faculty of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences|
|15.||Ms. Irene AKetch Okoth||Student Representative|
|16.||Mr. Lawrence Kalule||Student Representative|
|17.||Mr. Elisha Obella||Academic Registrar / Secretary|