The department was established through a Millenium Science Initiative (MSI) project proposal funded by the World Bank. The proposal among others won the Uganda Millenium Science Initiative grant of 1.25 Million dollars in support for establishment of a new undergraduate degree program in Textile Engineering.
Busitema University's Department of Textile Engineering is envisioned to be the center of excellence in textile engineering research with modern research laboratories and highly trained academic staff. The Uganda Investment Authority gazetted land at Busitema University on which a Science and Technology park is to be set up. There'll be a textile component in the planned Science and Technology Park.
Mission and Vision
- DKTE Textile & Engineering Institute, Ichalkaranji – India.
- Kyambogo University
- Moi University
- University of Dar-es-Salaam.
List of Publications
Peer Reviewed Conferences
- Samson Rwawiire, Petr Prucha.: Analysis of adhesively bonded stringer-stiffened panel for assessing the strength of adhesive layer. - PEGASUS-AIAA International Student Conference 2008 Prague – Czech Republic (First Prize Poster)
- Samson Rwawiire, Akanyijuka Mark.:Harnessing the potential of selected plant based fibers for sustainable development through value added products. – Moi University, 7th Annual International Conference, 2011, Eldoret - Kenya
- Samson Rwawiire, Namuga Catherine, Kucel Samuel Baker, Gudoi Davis.: Processing of Natural Fibre Textile from Ficus natalensis and Antiaris toxicaria. 2nd International Symposium on Sustainable Development through Research in Natural Textile Fibres, Textile Products, Trade and Marketing, 5th – 8th March 2012, Kisumu - Kenya
- Samson Rwawiire, Kucel Samuel Baker.: Buckling and Post-buckling analysis of textile composite panels. 2nd International Symposium on Sustainable Development through Research in Natural Textile Fibres, Textile Products, Trade and Marketing, 5th – 8th March 2012, Kisumu – Kenya
- Samson Rwawiire.: Ginning Sector Training in the East African Community, 1st International East African Cotton, Textile and Apparel Value Chain Conference 2011
· Diploma in Ginning Engineering (2 years)
· BSc. in Textile Engineering (4 years)
BSc. in Textile Engineering
The BSc. Textile Engineering is a four year undergraduate degree. The training is multi-disciplinary with background courses from different disciplines such as mechanical engineering, chemistry, textile etc.
The main purpose of this programme is to address the problem of inadequate trained and skilled human resource in the textile sector; increase the number of qualified human resources in the textile field and enhance investment and competitiveness of the sector.
Diploma in Ginning Engineering
The Diploma in Ginning Engineeringis a two year course.
Proposed New Programs
- MSc. in Textile Engineering the first of its kind in Uganda is planned to be taught.
- Certificate in Garment Design & Construction
- Eng. Rwahwire Samson, MSc. Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering (HoD) – Lecturer
- Eng. Wandera Wafula Johnson - Msc. Agricultural Eng., - Lecturer
- Mr. Janani Loum - Bsc. Ind. Chem., MSc. Chem. - Lecturer
- Mr. Mudanya Johnson - BSc. Mechanical Eng. - Assistant Lecturer
- Mr. Wandera George - Bsc. Textile & Clothing Tech. – Assistant Lecturer
- Mr. Kamalha Edwin BSc Text. & Clothing Tech. - Teaching Assistant (Study Leave-Donghua)
- Mr. Nkangi Maki -BBA Accounting; BSc. Textile & Clothing Tech -Teaching Assistant
- Ms. Tusimiire Yvonne - Bsc. Text. & Clothing Tech. - Teaching Assistant (Study Leave-Donghua)
- Mr. Ssembatya Martin - Bsc. Mech.l Eng.MSc- Teaching Assistant
- Mr. Olietho Godfrey – Chief Technician
- Mr. Muwulya Vincent - Diploma in Mech. Eng., Dip. Ginning Engineering – Technician
- Mr. Avua James - Technician
- Mr. Emuron Fred – Laboratory Attendant